Monday, July 27, 2020

Internal Locus of Control

As a future OT practitioner, it is important that I know and understand locus of control. After completing the worksheet and totaling the points, I am located closer to the internal locus of control continuum side. What this means is that I am able to be positive, yet realistic about what I can and cannot control. I may not be able to control external factors, so for that I do not worry, and in turn I am able to make an internal decision about how I handle and respond to challenging events or "bumps in the road." Also, I believe the type of effort and work I put into something will result in a good or bad outcome. If I only partake in a task half-heartedly, then the outcome will reflect that by being a negative response or seen as a fail. However, if I give my best effort and have a hard work ethic, then the results will present such outcomes that are successful and positive.

Understanding and knowing the importance of locus of control will influence and impact how I approach work everyday personally, as well as when collaborating and interacting with future clients and their caregivers as a clinician. If I portray an internal locus of control that is built on, "I can recover from setbacks," or "I can make things happen," then this could potentially influence or help a client who may have had a stroke or orthopedic injury, for example, think and say the same expressions because of how I represented locus of control. If the client exudes an attitude and approach that is positive, and controlling what they can, then progress and improvements can be made due to how they responded to their challenges and present circumstances. Putting my best foot forward as a clinician can potentially result in my future clients putting their best foot forward, too. How we approach everyday life and the barriers and challenges it can present, is how life is going to go. We can only control so much, so what we can control, take what you can get, make an effective internal decision on how to respond, and use it as an advantage.





No comments:

Post a Comment